Color is dark amber, non-transparent, with a huge, creamy, white head that lasts forever. Aroma of smoked malt is unique and powerful. To call this a “farmhouse altbier with smoked malt” is an understatement. Bold, intense flavors from the smoked malt, including BBQ-like flavors of smoked meat, ash, toffee, cola, and tobacco. Mesquite would be a good overall word for it. Very malt forward, with burnt malt, caramel malt, and a slight brown sugar and molasses sweetness. Hops are earthy and peaty, and there’s an unexpected flavor on the backend that could be raspberry or cherry or some other dark fruit. Smoky from start to finish, with a light to medium body and a cigar-like aftertaste. Can’t say we’d grab this on a regular basis, but it’s a complex and and one-of-a-kind beer that’s worth trying if you can find it.
- View the most recent Hot Topics.
- DadMike and 1 other added a rating for Lights On. 50 minutes ago
- AnkleDeep and 1 other added a rating for Game of Thrones: Valar Dohaeris. 59 minutes ago
- rolandor6 added a rating for Red Flag Amber. 2 hours ago
- Alexa added a rating for Panic IPA. 2 hours ago
- snfan13 added a rating for Bitter Valentine. 3 hours ago
- AnnaB added a rating for Heady Topper. 4 hours ago
- rolandor6 listened to California Grab Bag II. 5 hours ago
- IPAman added a rating for Campfire Stout. 7 hours ago
- More Latest Activity