The oldest version from our recent Three Philosophers vertical tasting is the 2011. It clocks in at 9.8% and pours a dark amber color, reddish brown. The head is foamy, light khaki in color and dissipates pretty quickly. Noticeable aroma, but the aroma is subtler that the other versions we tried. Mouthfeel is a tad thicker with a nice viscosity that could have come about with a little more time in the bottle. There's a little more "old fruit" flavor, like raisin and prune, and not as much fresh, ripe, cherry flavors that we found in the newer versions. A bit oxidized, which isn't bad, and still completely drinkable at 7 years old. It's actually remarkably similar to the more recent releases. For a non-Barrel Aged beer, this has held up really well and while it might be hard to find now, it was really fun to try during our podcast where we compared this to the 2013 and 2015 editions.
- View the most recent Hot Topics.
- spaceman23 added a rating for Lifestyle. 4 minutes ago
- MilwaukeeDawn added a rating for Karl Strauss Mosaic Session Ale. 1 hour ago
- outlawninja12 added a rating for Harmony Foretold Cucumber Wheat Ale. 1 hour ago
- spaceman23 added a rating for Icelandic Toasted Porter. 3 hours ago
- AnkleDeep added a rating for I Love It! California IPA. 4 hours ago
- PrinceCharming listened to Claremont Craft Ales. 4 hours ago
- CityofAngels9 listened to Louisiana and Florida Gulf Coast Brews. 5 hours ago
- MilwaukeeDawn added a rating for Goosed. 7 hours ago
- More Latest Activity