The oldest version from our recent Three Philosophers vertical tasting is the 2011. It clocks in at 9.8% and pours a dark amber color, reddish brown. The head is foamy, light khaki in color and dissipates pretty quickly. Noticeable aroma, but the aroma is subtler that the other versions we tried. Mouthfeel is a tad thicker with a nice viscosity that could have come about with a little more time in the bottle. There's a little more "old fruit" flavor, like raisin and prune, and not as much fresh, ripe, cherry flavors that we found in the newer versions. A bit oxidized, which isn't bad, and still completely drinkable at 7 years old. It's actually remarkably similar to the more recent releases. For a non-Barrel Aged beer, this has held up really well and while it might be hard to find now, it was really fun to try during our podcast where we compared this to the 2013 and 2015 editions.
- View the most recent Hot Topics.
- AnchorSteamer and 1 other added a rating for Glitter & Gold. 29 minutes ago
- Vette432 added a rating for Killian's Irish Red. 2 hours ago
- MilwaukeeDawn added a rating for Bourbon Barrel Aged Time Traveller (2017). 2 hours ago
- CoorsLightning added a rating for Prost Y'all - Bourbon Barrel Aged Winter Warmer. 4 hours ago
- beerdrinker24 added a rating for Ode etta Sahti. 4 hours ago
- jbcurtis added a rating for ber Affengeil. 5 hours ago
- Vette432 added a rating for Hop Streaker. 7 hours ago
- Missy19 added a rating for Beard Tax. 7 hours ago
- More Latest Activity