We were lucky enough to snag a bottle of Batch 14, bottled in 2013, and aged it in the Beer of the Day Vault for a few years. The resulting barley wine was quite smooth but also managed to maintain a surprising amount of hop bitterness. It pours a walnut color with an apricot glow around the edges. It's quite hazy, allowing only shadows to appear through it. The aroma is complex and nutty with smells of cashew and oak mixing with cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. The flavor is equally as complex with an earthy hoppiness up front with its bitterness balanced by dark fruits of cherry and raisin. As with any barleywine worth it's weight, the booze is there but doesn't provide much of a kick for 10.4%. This will be tough to get your hands on, but be sure to pick it up if you come across it.
- View the most recent Hot Topics.
- plarson listened to What's My Name Again?. 27 minutes ago
- jhmiller added a rating for Mountain Haze. 1 hour ago
- plarson added a rating for Venture Maine IPA. 1 hour ago
- silversurfer added a rating for Trappistes Rochefort 6. 2 hours ago
- budman1 added a rating for Fields of Green: Crosby Comet. 3 hours ago
- jbcurtis added a rating for Pay it Forward Cocoa Porter. 4 hours ago
- jbcurtis added a rating for Old Chub Scotch Ale. 5 hours ago
- duffy12 added a rating for Joe IPA. 6 hours ago
- More Latest Activity
What's On Tap
Congress Street IPA
From The Heart