Color is dark amber, non-transparent, with a huge, creamy, white head that lasts forever. Aroma of smoked malt is unique and powerful. To call this a “farmhouse altbier with smoked malt” is an understatement. Bold, intense flavors from the smoked malt, including BBQ-like flavors of smoked meat, ash, toffee, cola, and tobacco. Mesquite would be a good overall word for it. Very malt forward, with burnt malt, caramel malt, and a slight brown sugar and molasses sweetness. Hops are earthy and peaty, and there’s an unexpected flavor on the backend that could be raspberry or cherry or some other dark fruit. Smoky from start to finish, with a light to medium body and a cigar-like aftertaste. Can’t say we’d grab this on a regular basis, but it’s a complex and and one-of-a-kind beer that’s worth trying if you can find it.
- View the most recent Hot Topics.
- ghost74 added a rating for Big Bear Black Stout. 44 minutes ago
- CityofAngels9 added a rating for 300. 1 hour ago
- lauralane listened to Pelican. 2 hours ago
- MilwaukeeDawn added a rating for Bourbon County Brand Stout (2017). 3 hours ago
- knightowl5000 added a rating for Peche Mortel. 4 hours ago
- RichardHarris listened to Brews and Blues in St. Louis. 5 hours ago
- AnkleDeep listened to A Little Bit of Everything. 6 hours ago
- plarson added a rating for Really Old Brown Dog Ale (2012). 7 hours ago
- More Latest Activity