Three Philosophers (2011)
The oldest version from our recent Three Philosophers vertical tasting is the 2011. It clocks in at 9.8% and pours a dark amber color, reddish brown. The head is foamy, light khaki in color and dissipates pretty quickly. Noticeable aroma, but the aroma is subtler that the other versions we tried. Mouthfeel is a tad thicker with a nice viscosity that could have come about with a little more time in the bottle. There’s a little more “old fruit” flavor, like raisin and prune, and not as much fresh, ripe, cherry flavors that we found in the newer versions. A bit oxidized, which isn’t bad, and still completely drinkable at 7 years old. It’s actually remarkably similar to the more recent releases. For a non-Barrel Aged beer, this has held up really well and while it might be hard to find now, it was really fun to try during our podcast where we compared this to the 2013 and 2015 editions.
- View the most recent Hot Topics.
- Alexa added a rating for Big Daddy IPA. 11 minutes ago
- beerdrinker24 added a rating for Lazy Hazy IPA. 53 minutes ago
- bruinsfan2001 listened to Will You Beer My Valentine?. 2 hours ago
- RichardHarris added a rating for Alligator. 3 hours ago
- Alexa listened to Oktoberfest 2016. 3 hours ago
- budman1 added a rating for Donner Party Porter. 4 hours ago
- jhmiller uploaded a photo for beer Bourbon County Brand Stout (2017). 6 hours ago
- plarson added a rating for Dynamo Donut Imperial Stout. 6 hours ago
- More Latest Activity