Three Philosophers (2011)
The oldest version from our recent Three Philosophers vertical tasting is the 2011. It clocks in at 9.8% and pours a dark amber color, reddish brown. The head is foamy, light khaki in color and dissipates pretty quickly. Noticeable aroma, but the aroma is subtler that the other versions we tried. Mouthfeel is a tad thicker with a nice viscosity that could have come about with a little more time in the bottle. There's a little more "old fruit" flavor, like raisin and prune, and not as much fresh, ripe, cherry flavors that we found in the newer versions. A bit oxidized, which isn't bad, and still completely drinkable at 7 years old. It's actually remarkably similar to the more recent releases. For a non-Barrel Aged beer, this has held up really well and while it might be hard to find now, it was really fun to try during our podcast where we compared this to the 2013 and 2015 editions.
- View the most recent Hot Topics.
- atlantic4400 listened to Fall Back Grab Bag. 38 minutes ago
- ghost74 listened to Cincinnati 'Tis of Thee. 1 hour ago
- ghost74 listened to Oktoberfestivus. 3 hours ago
- Alexa listened to Oktoberfest 2017. 3 hours ago
- IPAman added a rating for Deftones Phantom Bride IPA. 5 hours ago
- AnnaB added a rating for Resilience Butte County Proud IPA. 5 hours ago
- jhmiller listened to If You're Drinkin', Euro-Peein. 6 hours ago
- jhmiller commented on beer Belhaven. 6 hours ago
- More Latest Activity