Three Philosophers (2011)
The oldest version from our recent Three Philosophers vertical tasting is the 2011. It clocks in at 9.8% and pours a dark amber color, reddish brown. The head is foamy, light khaki in color and dissipates pretty quickly. Noticeable aroma, but the aroma is subtler that the other versions we tried. Mouthfeel is a tad thicker with a nice viscosity that could have come about with a little more time in the bottle. There's a little more "old fruit" flavor, like raisin and prune, and not as much fresh, ripe, cherry flavors that we found in the newer versions. A bit oxidized, which isn't bad, and still completely drinkable at 7 years old. It's actually remarkably similar to the more recent releases. For a non-Barrel Aged beer, this has held up really well and while it might be hard to find now, it was really fun to try during our podcast where we compared this to the 2013 and 2015 editions.
- View the most recent Hot Topics.
- RichardHarris added a rating for Mo. 20 minutes ago
- plarson added a rating for Cherenkov Russian Imperial Stout. 49 minutes ago
- MilwaukeeDawn added a rating for ALL CAPS. 1 hour ago
- knightowl5000 added a rating for Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat. 3 hours ago
- plarson added a rating for Peche 'n Brett. 4 hours ago
- knightowl5000 listened to New England Part 1: The Maine Event. 5 hours ago
- budman1 added a rating for Downtown Brown. 5 hours ago
- MilwaukeeDawn added a rating for Gummy Worms. 6 hours ago
- More Latest Activity