Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Star: Coffee Edition (2017)
Color is dark brown with a head that is also dark brown, creamy in texture with moderate retention. Lots of sticky lacing is left on the glass. Malty aroma with lots of coffee and chocolate. Taste is bold and strong, with bitter dark chocolate (or maybe baker’s chocolate) and roasted coffee, supported by a smooth oat backbone. Slim to none on the sweetness scale. The malt flavors are robust, but there’s also an earthy, hop presence. Hints of bourbon, but there’s almost no alcohol detection, even at 13.1%. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth, light carbonation, with a body that is full but not heavy. Aging this a couple years has paid off, as the beer is super smooth with no booziness, and it still maintains the robust coffee and chocolate flavors. Excellent work, Fremont.
- View the most recent Hot Topics.
- knightowl5000 added a rating for Emperor Norton. 30 minutes ago
- jhmiller uploaded a photo for beer Left Eye, Right Eye DIPA. 53 minutes ago
- PrinceCharming added a rating for Layla Blackberry Sour. 1 hour ago
- knightowl5000 added a rating for Long Table. 2 hours ago
- AnnaB listened to Get Back to Wort!. 3 hours ago
- Missy19 added a rating for La Fin Du Monde. 4 hours ago
- atlantic4400 added a rating for Pumpkin Spice Latte (Nitro). 5 hours ago
- AnkleDeep listened to Dogfish Head at OTP. 6 hours ago
- More Latest Activity
What's On Tap
St. Paddy's Day Show
Kabru West Coast IPA