Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Star: Coffee Edition (2017)
Color is dark brown with a head that is also dark brown, creamy in texture with moderate retention. Lots of sticky lacing is left on the glass. Malty aroma with lots of coffee and chocolate. Taste is bold and strong, with bitter dark chocolate (or maybe baker’s chocolate) and roasted coffee, supported by a smooth oat backbone. Slim to none on the sweetness scale. The malt flavors are robust, but there’s also an earthy, hop presence. Hints of bourbon, but there’s almost no alcohol detection, even at 13.1%. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth, light carbonation, with a body that is full but not heavy. Aging this a couple years has paid off, as the beer is super smooth with no booziness, and it still maintains the robust coffee and chocolate flavors. Excellent work, Fremont.
- View the most recent Hot Topics.
- snfan13 added a rating for Crush Cucumber Sour. 27 minutes ago
- PrinceCharming listened to The Whole #9 Yards. 1 hour ago
- AnnaB listened to IPAs East and West. 2 hours ago
- ghost74 added a rating for Solis Occasus. 3 hours ago
- snfan13 added a rating for Backroad Vanilla Porter. 4 hours ago
- CityofAngels9 added a rating for The Red Glove. 5 hours ago
- IPAman added a rating for Only Echoes Respond. 6 hours ago
- jbcurtis listened to Portlandia. 7 hours ago
- More Latest Activity