Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Star: Coffee Edition (2017)
Color is dark brown with a head that is also dark brown, creamy in texture with moderate retention. Lots of sticky lacing is left on the glass. Malty aroma with lots of coffee and chocolate. Taste is bold and strong, with bitter dark chocolate (or maybe baker's chocolate) and roasted coffee, supported by a smooth oat backbone. Slim to none on the sweetness scale. The malt flavors are robust, but there's also an earthy, hop presence. Hints of bourbon, but there's almost no alcohol detection, even at 13.1%. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth, light carbonation, with a body that is full but not heavy. Aging this a couple years has paid off, as the beer is super smooth with no booziness, and it still maintains the robust coffee and chocolate flavors. Excellent work, Fremont.
- View the most recent Hot Topics.
- jbcurtis added a rating for Lambda Triple IPA. 4 minutes ago
- silversurfer and 1 other listened to Turn Your Head and Coffee. 1 hour ago
- atlantic4400 added a rating for Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale. 1 hour ago
- AnchorSteamer listened to L.A. Beers. 4 hours ago
- silversurfer listened to Cincinnati 'Tis of Thee. 5 hours ago
- ghost74 added a rating for Dos Equis Amber. 6 hours ago
- bruinsfan2001 added a rating for Fort George Fresh IPA. 6 hours ago
- silversurfer added a rating for Fire, Skulls & Money. 8 hours ago
- More Latest Activity