Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Star: Coffee Edition (2017)
Color is dark brown with a head that is also dark brown, creamy in texture with moderate retention. Lots of sticky lacing is left on the glass. Malty aroma with lots of coffee and chocolate. Taste is bold and strong, with bitter dark chocolate (or maybe baker's chocolate) and roasted coffee, supported by a smooth oat backbone. Slim to none on the sweetness scale. The malt flavors are robust, but there's also an earthy, hop presence. Hints of bourbon, but there's almost no alcohol detection, even at 13.1%. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth, light carbonation, with a body that is full but not heavy. Aging this a couple years has paid off, as the beer is super smooth with no booziness, and it still maintains the robust coffee and chocolate flavors. Excellent work, Fremont.
- View the most recent Hot Topics.
- bruinsfan2001 added a rating for Le Jus. 4 minutes ago
- AnkleDeep added a rating for Create-A-Potato. 1 hour ago
- knightowl5000 listened to New England Part 2: Vermont IPAs. 1 hour ago
- PrinceCharming listened to Great American Colorado Beers. 3 hours ago
- PrinceCharming added a rating for LaGrave. 4 hours ago
- ghost74 added a rating for Just Outstanding IPA. 5 hours ago
- knightowl5000 added a rating for Nova Vert. 6 hours ago
- AnnaB added a rating for Flora. 7 hours ago
- More Latest Activity