Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Star: Coffee Edition (2017)
Color is dark brown with a head that is also dark brown, creamy in texture with moderate retention. Lots of sticky lacing is left on the glass. Malty aroma with lots of coffee and chocolate. Taste is bold and strong, with bitter dark chocolate (or maybe baker's chocolate) and roasted coffee, supported by a smooth oat backbone. Slim to none on the sweetness scale. The malt flavors are robust, but there's also an earthy, hop presence. Hints of bourbon, but there's almost no alcohol detection, even at 13.1%. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth, light carbonation, with a body that is full but not heavy. Aging this a couple years has paid off, as the beer is super smooth with no booziness, and it still maintains the robust coffee and chocolate flavors. Excellent work, Fremont.
- View the most recent Hot Topics.
- plarson listened to Midwest Trip Part 2. 45 minutes ago
- CoachBrobb890 added a rating for Infinite Wishes 2017. 1 hour ago
- lauralane added a rating for White Rajah. 1 hour ago
- IPAman added a rating for Just Outstanding IPA. 3 hours ago
- duffy12 listened to Sour Power Hour. 4 hours ago
- AnnaB added a rating for Chocolate Ale With Raspberry. 4 hours ago
- spaceman23 listened to Charge of the Light Beergade. 6 hours ago
- beerdrinker24 listened to Newport Beach and SoCal Beers. 6 hours ago
- More Latest Activity